- Day-and-night cycle: The central focus of After Dark is the day-and-night cycle, which affect the behavior of the citizens. Traffic becomes slower, and some zoned areas work below full efficiency. This feature will be added in a free update.
- Leisure specialization: Commercial areas may specialize in leisure activities, which are considerably more active at night but work like a regular commercial area during the day.
- Beach specialization: Commercial areas located near the shoreline may specialize in beach activities, such as beach bars and restaurants.
- Expanded city services: City services have newly added features, such as taxi services, cargo hubs, international airports, and bus terminals. Additionally, criminals will now be taken from the police stations to the prisons. 
- New transportation options: Bikes and bike lanes and ways allow citizens to choose an alternative to walking. Bus lanes are provided near bus stops, allowing traffic to run smoother.
Following the release of After Dark, a free content update was also released.
- Day-and-night cycle
- Shoreline increases land value
- Reworked crime system and higher crime rate during the night
- Updated economy functionality
- 70 freezoned buildings for more variations
- Styles for modding to allow modders to define their own building sets as "European buildings" or "medieval"